Today’s question comes from Ken in Idaho. 

I have a property that is zoned rural and I’m considering developing for residential and I understand that I need a zoning change in order to build what I want. But I’m confused about terms like the official plan and the neighborhood plan and how they affect the zoning. The property needs to be annexed into the city to get the residential zoning. I’m also told that even though I’m in the county, the county road at the front of the property will also need to be annexed into the city and affect the development. Hoping you can clarify what I need to do?

This is a great question. This is a complex area. It’s made complex only by the layers upon layers that can come into play.


Host: Victor Menasce