In this segment, a member asked to describe the differences between skills required for renovation, new construction, and development. In many ways the question chronicles my journey, starting on small renovation projects, to progressively larger ones, to today where I’m involved in several projects that started with raw land.
How to Become a Developer
Every project has surprises. Who would have thought:
- There would be an undocumented live sewer pipe crossing the back yard?
- The community would want a $20B LNG plant, but not an apartment complex?
- The city would want cement curbs on a rural road with ditches?
- An outdoor roof deck is considered an enclosed space for fire purposes?
- A power easement ends at the last pole. Extending the line 20 feet requires a new right of way?